A battle over appropriate licensing methods for patents deemed essential for a particular industry’s technical standards could be heading to the Supreme Court after the Court of Appeal today upheld a lower court’s ruling.Companies that own SEPs are required to license those patents at a fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory rate, known as FRAND. In Unwired Planet v Huawei, the Court of Appeal accepted the High Court’s determination that an owner of a standard-essential patent (SEP) for mobile phones can meet its obligations to making rights available fairly by offering a worldwide licence. Lord Justice Kitchin’s ruling added that if that offer is refused, an alleged infringer may be subject to an injunction. The dispute centred on patents owned by technology company Unwired Planet which are claimed to be essential to the telecommunications industry. Unwired Planet made licensing offers to companies including Chinese phone maker Huawei but the offers were rejected for allegedly not meeting FRAND standards.Both the High Court in April last year and the Court of Appeal today confirmed that an owner of a global SEP portfolio can meet FRAND obligations by offering a worldwide licence.Yohan Liyanage, partner at Linklaters, said the significance of today’s judgment would go far beyond the dispute in question.‘All players in the telecoms sector license patents that are required to operate according to telecoms standards (such as 2G, 3G and 4G), and the judgment impacts not only the terms of future licences, but also the way that parties negotiate licences and make offers to each other,’ he said. He added that Huawei would probably be required to pay annual licence fees in the tens of millions of pounds in order to avoid a UK sales injunction.Huawei has indicated its intention to appeal.Gary Moss, head of litigation at IP boutique firm EIP, which represented Unwired Planet, said: ‘The court’s judgment confirms several important points of principle as to the appropriate scope and value of SEP licences. This provides global patent holders and licensees with a more efficient framework to help resolve SEP licensing issues.’Unwired Planet also targeted Samsung and Google but both companies have since settled the claims.Liyanage also warned that the ruling will also impact 5G, the next generation in telecommunications technology, the standards for which are being developed.
BIDS TO supply 790 cars to Madrid Metro have been received from AnsaldoBreda, a CAF/Bombardier consortium and Rotem of South Korea. Expected to cost €900m, a total of 161 trainsets will be required to serve the 72·7 km of extensions due to open by 2007 (RG 2.04 p76) and increase capacity on existing routes.Rotem has elected to bid only for the cars which will equip the wide-profile routes, including 96 vehicles for Line 6 and 126 for Line 7. Madrid Metro’s requirement for new narrow-profile cars includes 140 cars for Line 1 and 234 for Line 3 which is being extended by 5·4 km with six new stations. n
Mali arrests two suspects in planned terror attack Egyptian arrested in Spain over membership to terror group Smoke billows from the site of an explosion in Gao on July 1, 2018. – French soldiers operating in troubled northern Mali were targeted by “terrorists”(STRINGER/AFP/Getty Images)The United States has issued a statement adding the Group to Support Islam and Muslims on its list of “foreign terrorist organisations”.The move against the GSIM, which is a fusion of three Malian jihadist groups allied to al-Qaeda, is intended to deny the organisation resources to carry out any terror attacks.The US State Department said that any property owned by GSIM in the US would be blocked and further prohibited any US citizens from dealing with the group.According to the statement, the GSIM is alleged to have described itself as al-Qaeda’s official branch in Mali, and claimed responsibility for a series of attacks, including the March attacks in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, which killed eight people.“Al-Qaeda and its affiliates like (GSIM) remain deadly threats to the United States and our allies,” said ambassador Nathan Sales, the State Department’s coordinator for counterterrorism.The group’s leader, Malian jihadist Iyad Ag Ghaly, has already been named a “global terrorist” by the US.Related Terror group ISIL now targets Somalia
Share RelatedLower Valley Cotillion Club celebrates ‘A Night of Elegance’Special to the PRESS BROWNSVILLE – The Lower Rio Grande Valley Cotillion Club held its Annual Presentation Ball on Saturday, Feb. 4 at the Jacob Brown Auditorium in Brownsville. The Cotillion Club was founded 58 years go in September 1954 by Mrs. Byron Campbell of Raymondville as a social organization…February 16, 2012In “News”59th Annual Lower Valley Cotillion features Port Isabel debutantesSpecial to the PRESS The Lower Rio Grande Valley Cotillion Club held its Annual Presentation Ball on Saturday, February 2, at the Jacob Brown Auditorium in Brownsville. The Cotillion Club was founded 59 years ago in September 1954 by Mrs. Byron Campbell of Raymondville as a social organization designed to…February 14, 2013In “Gallery”Karina Vela – As Active as They ComeBy LARRY GAGE Special to the PRESS Port Isabel Lady Tarpon senior student-athlete Karina Vela is about as active a high school kid as you will find anywhere. She has been a football cheerleader, competes in two sports, and is active in several clubs and organizations. She consistently scores in…December 6, 2015In “News” Special to the PRESSThe 62nd Annual Presentation Ball of the Lower Valley Cotillion Club was held at the South Padre Island Convention Centre on Saturday, Jan. 30.The Cotillion Club was founded in September of 1954 by Mrs. Byron Campbell of Raymondville as a social organization designed to bring together and present to society Lower Rio Grande Valley college-bound, civically and socially active girls. Many Rio Grande Valley women have fond memories of their own Cotillion presentations in years past. The Cotillion Club continues to be a two-year social club for select junior and senior high school girls. The highlight of each year is the Presentation Ball.For this special celebration, the South Padre Island Convention Centre was transformed into a breathtaking ballroom filled with beautiful flowers for 170 debutantes. Each junior girl, wearing a traditional long, white ball gown and carrying a long-stemmed titanic rose, was formally presented by her father as enchanting classical music played in the background. The first dance after the presentation was reserved for the fathers. They danced with their lovely daughters to the tune of My Wish by Rascal Flats. The fathers then relinquished their daughters to their escorts for the remainder of the evening. The young ladies and their escorts, as well as the senior members and their escorts, danced the remainder of the evening to the music of Pichis Sound by Jose Antonio Treviño Cardenas.Beautiful floral arrangements of titanic, fuchsia and valentina roses, with eucalyptus, white alstroemerias, bells of Ireland, Mexican hydrangea, amaranthus, and stems of star gazers adorned tables draped in brilliant fuchsia and surrounded by gold chivary chairs. Wray and Company catered an elegant dinner and dessert for the debutantes, senior members, and their dates.Mistresses of Ceremonies for the evening were Ms. Jerry Lee Berg and Mrs. Letty Garza. Receiving guests upon their arrival were the Cotillion executive board members.New members to the Cotillion Club are selected their junior year in high school by an advisory board that considers leadership, community activities, college intentions, and suggestions by their senior advisory members. Club members represent the cities of Harlingen, Port Isabel, San Benito, Rio Hondo, La Feria, Santa Rosa and Willacy County. During their senior year, Cotillion members return to renew acquaintances at the fall luncheon and formal ball, and at the spring luncheon they are familiarized with college requirements and activities.Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.
Enam bandara di Pulau Jawa, Kalimantan, Bali dan Sulawesi menjadi target utama pembangunan dan pengembangan PT Angkasa Pura I (Persero). Adanya pembangunan ini untuk meningkatkan level pelayanan bagi masyarakat pengguna moda transportasi udara (pesawat). Hal ini dikarenakan sekarang jumlah penumpang terus meningkat setiap tahunnya.Untuk pembangunan dan pengembangan enam Bandara ini, AP I siap menggelpontorkan dana Rp54 triliun untuk mempercepat pembangunan keenam bandara ini. Dikutip dari situs ap1.co.id (25/2/2017), Direktur Utama AP I, Danang S Baskoro mengatakan, ada tiga bandara yang menjadi prioritas utama yaitu Kulonprogo di Yogyakarta, Semarang dan Banjarmasin. “Priorita kedua adalah Bandara di Bali, Makassar dan Surabaya,” ujarnya.Diketahui, selama ini untuk pembangunan dan pengembangan bandara, AP I membutuhkan waktu tiga sampai empat tahun lamanya. Namun, dalam rangka ulang tahun ke-53 yang jatuh pada 20 Februari lalu, AP I mempercepat pengerjaan keenam bandara tersebut. Dengan kecepatan pembangunan yang bertambah, AP I menargetkan perolehan pendapatan pada 2017 sekitar Rp8 triliun dengan laba Rp1,2 triliun. Saat ini selain mengelola 13 bandara di Wilayah Tengah dan Timur Indonesia, AP I juga mempunyai lima anak perusahaan dan semakin menekan aspek bisnis non-aeronautika. Lima anak perusahaan AP I yakni PT Angkasa Pura Logistik, PT Angkasa Pura Properti, PT Angkasa Pura Support, PT Angkasa Pura Hotel dan PT Angkasa Pura Retail.Kelima anak perusahaan Angkasa Pura ini nantinya akan memegang penuh bisnis kedepannya. Danang mengatakan, dari target Rp8 triliun pendapatan, 45 persennya diharapkan berasal dari non-aeronautika. “Kalau bisa separuhnya lebih bagus,” jelas Danang.Dari hal ini, Danang menilai, bahwa bisnis bandara dimanapun baik di Indonesia maupun di dunia, pastinya selalu memiliki dua segmen yakni penumpang dan maskapi. Ini dikarenakan antara penumpang dengan maskapai berkesinambungan. Ada penumpang, maskapai akan bergerak dan sebaliknya ada maskapai pasti ada penumpang. Bila keduanya tidak berkesinambungan, tak akan ada hasil dari bisnis bandara ini. Dari hal ini, pihak pengelola bandara tidak akan membebani maskapai dengan pembayaran yang serba mahal, seperti biaya parkir pesawat. Bisnis non-aeronautika seperti adanya areal komersial di bandara yang bisa disewakan untuk mendapatkan hasil yang lebih.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Like this:Like Loading… RelatedSepanjang 2017, PT Angkasa Pura I Raih Laba Bersih Rp1,4 Triliun02/02/2018In “Bandara”13 Bandara di Bawah Angkasa Pura I Capai Pertumbuhan Penumpang 10 Persen19/04/2018In “Bandara”Laporan Q1 2020: 15 Bandara PT Angkasa Pura I Alami Penurunan Trafik Penumpang 8,11 Persen06/04/2020In “Bandara”
Officers say they were notified November 20th that a pair of residents from the Soldotna area were believed to be missing. They were last seen the night of November 14th at a residence in Soldotna. Their Ford Bronco was also missing and officers say they listed the pair as missing and “followed up with associates and places they frequent however did not locate them.” FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享A burned Bronco was found Sunday in the greater Soldotna area, off of K-Beach Road, with two bodies inside, believed to be those of two people missing for nearly two weeks. Eyewitnesses say the vehicle was found in the area surrounding the Duck Inn on K-Beach Road. Troopers have declined to be more specific than to say it was off of K-Beach Road. Troopers say they haven’t yet positively identified the two people and have not disclosed the suspected identities. That information will be posted here when it becomes available. On Sunday, November 27, a Trooper was visiting the residence where the individuals were known to be, when a male “came out of a wooded area and stated that he had found the Bronco with two bodies inside.” The Trooper on scene located the vehicle in a wooded area off of a trail. The vehicle had been burned along with the two bodies. The Alaska Bureau of Investigation was called to the scene for further investigation, which is continuing.
The new ‘large fish’ goals (kings greater than 36″) will be used on both the early and late run Kenai River king salmon runs, lowering the number of fish required for escapement goals, but specifying that those kings must measure at least 36″ inches in length. While king salmon populations around the state have been suffering for the past five years, Ruffner says early run Kenai River kings have been suffering for a much longer period of time and require additional protections. Ruffner: “One of the big changes that’s happening here is how we’re going to run the Early Run Kenai River King Salmon, that’s one of the sets of regulations that we changed pretty dramatically. Formerly, we had a slot limit where you could catch a fish in a certain range and we’ve kind of done away with that and have set up a fishery for the early run kings such that above the college, around Slikok Creek, upstream of that there’s a different set of rules that says you can’t fish with bait, you can’t retain a fish that’s greater than 36 inches.” FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Soldotna’s new Board of Fisheries Member Robert Ruffner told the city’s Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday that he’s proud of the ‘clean’ process that’s currently in place at the Board, and how they’re changing management of early run Kenai River King Salmon.
Troopers and the National Transportation Safety Board are attempting to reach the scene to assess the terrain and formulate a plan for recovery. RCC responded to the scene in a Pave Hawk helicopter and was able to confirm the crash and that there were no survivors. According to the FAA’s website, four people died. The plane that went down was a Piper PA22. One crew member and three passengers died. This is a developing story- more details will be posted as they are made available. FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Alaska State Troopers responded to a plane crash on Sunday outside Girdwood on Goat Mountain near Eagle Glacier at approximately 5,000 feet elevation.
Excited after his recent appointment as the new head coach of the Jamaica rugby union team, Stephen Lewis found his immediate plans to guide the women’s team into the Olympics significantly harder, after World Rugby’s decision to remove the automatic qualifying spot from the North American region.Traditionally, the victor of the Rugby Americas North (RAN) Sevens competition would be assured a spot into the upcoming 2020 Tokyo Olympics, with the runner-ups playing in the repêchage play-off. However, after a controversial decision by the World Rugby organisation, that spot was taken away from the women’s competition.The quota was promptly reallocated to the repêchage play-off tournament.“I think it’s a travesty. It’s a disgrace. It was not an (International) Olympic (Committee) decision but a World Rugby decision,” a disgruntled Lewis fumed. “I think it’s unfair to change the qualification rules after the start of the competitive cycle.”This was a sentiment echoed by the chairman of the Jamaica Rugby Football Union, Jerry Benzwick.“To coin a phrase that two of my coaches had said to me, ‘It’s like you move the goalpost in the middle of the game’, because the rationale for it is unfair, if you ask me,” Benzwick explained. “This is the Olympics we’re talking about. Once you’ve qualified through the correct process, then you deserve the chance to go.”World Rugby explained that the reason for the decision was due to the fact that Canada and USA have already earned qualification from the region through ranking in the top four of the World Rugby Women’s Series. HYPOCRITICAL DECISION Benzwick, however, believes this decision was hypocritical, as the other teams that ranked in the top four teams were Australia and New Zealand, both from the Oceania region, yet they had not lost their quota.“It feels like they are saying, ‘You’re a little child, so you should stay in your corner and play with your toys.’ I don’t like it,” Benzwick said. “They’re potentially killing the best opportunity for the region to explode with rugby.”Sasha-Gaye Green, the captain of the Lady Crocs, has been directly affected by this decision as a player, but despite the adversity, she believes that this is an opportunity for the team to prove itself capable.“I’m very disappointed with that, because they think that we’re not ready for the big scene,” Green said. “But we’ll use that as a push for us to show them what they should think of our quality of rugby.”The Lady Crocs will compete in the RAN Sevens tournament this weekend in the Cayman Islands. The top two teams from the RAN Sevens will then play at a 12-team qualification tournament alongside two runners-up from each of five continental tournaments. The winner and runner-up of this tournament will advance to the Olympics.
Minister of Sports Olivia ‘Babsy’ Grange has informed The Gleaner that there will be an increase in the cost to the rent the Independence Park Limited (IPL) sporting facilities across the country.The IPL facilities consist of the National Stadium, Stadium East, the Leila Robinson Courts, National Indoor Sports Complex, the National Arena and the National Aquatics Centre, which are all located in St Andrew, plus the Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium.The sporting facilities have been closed since March due to COVID-19 pandemic, and Grange noted that the increase was necessary due to additional sanitisation personnel and features that will be installed at the facilities. “Organisations will have to be prepared for additional charges for sanitation for anything that is being held there because we have to put in extra facilities to ensure that there is proper sanitisation, and everybody will have to observe our protocols that are set out,” said Grange.“We will have to put in additional staff because there will be a lot more sanitisation stations at all our facilities and, therefore, there will be additional charges to rent these facilities,” she said. “The staff is not permanent because the staff is hired based on the usage of the facility.” ANNOUNCEMENT AT A LATER DATE She said that she will announce the details of the increase at a later date.The minister underlined that the facilities remained close to the public except for a few track and field athletes, who have been granted permission by the ministry to work out at the venues.“The Stadium East track, we have allowed training there, but the numbers are limited based on the protocols, and it is for national athletes and primarily track and field athletes,” said Grange. “The coaches and administrative personnel who are present at this facility have to wear mask and the athletes have to wear mask when they are not actually going through their training exercises, and sanitisation is also a critical part of the arrangement,” she stated. Grange noted that with the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) football season scheduled to begin in September, the IPL have held discussions with the organisers of the event as they seek to establish a number of protocols and guidelines for these competitions. “We are preparing guidelines and protocols for all sporting associations, which will be sent to them,” she said.“In fact, I have proposed a virtual meeting with the sporting bodies to discuss the matter of the protocols that have to be observed based on the guidelines from the Ministry of Health,” she stated.